If you know nothing about online poker or poker in general, the goal of the game is to have a better combination of cards and beat the dealer. There are countless different versions of online poker which change numerous aspects of the game, sometimes making a card wild, sometimes adding jokers and so on. This makes it one of the best games out there and any player is sure to find one that they like.
Top Rated Australian Online Poker Casinos
600+ Slots and 98% Payout
130+ Slots and 97% Payout
450+ Slots and 98.5% Payout
450+ Slots and 98% Payout
600+ Slots and 97% Payout
700+ Slots and 98% Payout
Online Video Poker Australia – What is it?
Video poker was first seen roughly 40 years ago and replaced the physical cards with representations of them on a screen. It is widely the same thing today but thanks to improvements in technology, you can play from the comfort of your home. While there may be hundreds of different versions, the core game itself is quite similar between them and relatively easy to learn. Players will be given five cards that have been selected at random. They’ll then be able to decide which of those cards they’d like to keep and which they’d like to discard. Discarded cards will be replaced by new ones chosen at random, and then the player’s hand will be compared to the computer’s to see who wins.
Perhaps the most famous version of Online Poker is called Jacks or Better, which requires a winning hand to have a pair of Jacks, or better. The payouts are also known to increase very quickly depending on the strength of the player’s hand.
Playing Online Poker in Australia
- Choose one of the Online Casinos recommended on our website. They all offer Online Poker, and you can trust that they’re reputable.
- Take your pick of Online Poker versions. Try reading up a little first before making your decision. If you’re new, avoid multi-hand online poker games.
- Read up on some poker strategies to give yourself the best chance of winning. Remember, poker isn’t just about luck, but skill and strategy as well.
- Most importantly, have fun!
Top Versions of Online Poker for Aussie Players
As there are so many different versions out there, we thought we’d give you a quick overview of our favourite variants of this fantastic game.
- Deuces Wild: A version of poker that is fast and exciting. Should be perfect for all players out there.
- 3 Card Poker: This is a slightly newer version that has been making a good impression on the Internet. It’s become very popular, probably because of how easy it is to learn and play.
- Texas Hold’em: One of the most famous versions of the game, offering great visuals and player friendly strategies.
- All Aces: A more traditional version of the game which sees four Aces in a hand win the game.
- Jacks or Better: A straightforward and attractive version where hands with a pair of Jacks or better payout.
Typical Online Poker hands in Australia
- Straight Flush: A hand with five cards in order, all from the same suit.
- 4 of a Kind: A hand with four cards of the same rank and one side card, known as the kicker.
- Full House: A hand with three cards that are of the same rank and two cards that are different to the other three, but equal to each other.
- Flush: A hand made up of five cards, all of the same suit.
- Straight: A hand made up of five cards that are in order.
- 3 of a Kind: Three cards of equal value and two unrelated cards.
- 2 Pair: A hand with two different pairs of equal cards and one side card.
- One Pair: Two cards of the same rank, with three unrelated cards.
Video Poker vs Online Poker?
The only real difference between Video Poker and Online Poker is that Online poker can be played from your computer or mobile device at home. While video poker is the same thing, but you’d need to go and play it on a dedicated machine at a land-based casino. In both game players will be able to bet between one and five coins and will be dealt five cards, choosing which to keep and which to discard. Discarded cards will then be replaced. And the player’s hand will determine their payout.
Australian Online Poker FAQ’s
Aussie players’ online poker questions answered here
- Do I need anything special to play Online Poker?
- All you need is an Internet connection and some form of device to play it on, whether that is a desktop, laptop or mobile device. Some casinos will allow players to download specific casino software to play, while others will have the player enjoy the game through their web browser.
- Can I try out online poker for free?
- You can. While this may have been a more difficult thing to find a few years ago, in recent years almost all the main online casinos will allow players to try out a wide variety of games for free, including slot games and table games. This is a great opportunity for new players to familiarise themselves with the rules and decide if they like the particular game and online casino they’re trying.
- Is there a wide variety of online poker games out there?
- One thing the online poker world isn’t short on is variety. The most popular versions of the game tend to be Jacks or Better and Deuces Wild, but there are numerous other versions. This also includes games with progressive jackpots that allow the player to win a simply astonishing sum of money.
- I’ve played real life poker before, is video poker the same?
- For the most part, it is yes. Some of the rules will be different, and this can even change between online poker games but for the most part it is the same. The biggest difference though is that the player is not competing against other players, but rather the computer. So bluffing will do you no good here.
- How much of an advantage does the house have in online poker?
- Any casino will see the house have an advantage. However, as poker is one of those games that is more about skill and strategy than luck, a good player should be able to win against the house more often than they lose.