Tasmania offers Australian residents and visitors a top notch experience. Explore the natural surroundings and enjoy the amazing food and wine that this state has to offer. For Tassies that love a good game of Poker, Blackjack or Roulette they can make a trip to the Wrest Point Casino in Sandy Bay or play at casinos online.
History of gambling in Tasmania
Tasmania has had a long and exciting gambling history that was based on wrestling, dog and cock fighting and horseracing. Lotteries, sweepstakes, and raffles were a common place in pubs. With the introduction of the Gaming Act in 1945, many illegal gambling houses were stopped. This led to the opening of Wrest Point Casino in 1973. This opening marked a first not only for this island but for Australia as well, as it was the first legal casino in the country, with a second casino opening in Launceston.
Fun Facts about Tasmania
- This island is home to 4000 year old trees known as Huon Pine Trees.
- Holland, popular for its Tulips, imports its bulbs from this island.
- The Tasmanian Devil is the biggest carnivorous marsupial in the world.
- The coastline measures an impressive 4,500km.
- This island is the same size as Ireland.
Online Casinos in Tasmania
Tassie players who do not wish to gamble at land-based casinos can play their favourite games at casinos online. Players should take a look at the casinos on our list to find the best of the best.
700+ Slots and 98% Payout
700+ Slots and 98% Payout
600+ Slots and 99% Payout
Tasmania – Land-based Casinos
Wrest Point casino is the pioneer of land-based casinos in Australia and opened its doors on the 10th of February 1973. The casino offers the best in table and pokie games with relaxing ocean and mountain views. Players taking a break from the casino floor can relax at one of the many restaurants or bars, enjoy a comedy show or two and even spend a few nights at the luxury hotel.
Tasmania Casino FAQS
- Is it legal to play casino games online in Tasmania?
- Yes, it is legal, however, gamblers can only play casino games online at international sites and not local Australian based sites.
- What is the legal gambling age in Tasmania?
- The legal gambling age is 18.
- Who regulates the gambling industry in Tasmania?
- The Gaming Control Act of 1993 regulates the gambling industry here by ensuring the casinos uphold the standards set by them.
- Why should I visit casinos in Tasmania?
- Not only is their history in casinos but popular games and entertainment as well. Tassies can look forward to the whole gambling package at Tasmanian casinos.
Casinos in other Australian States and Territories
Northern Territory | Australian Capital Territory | Queensland | Victoria | South Australia